Making Pasta From Scratch
Making Fresh Pasta
Preparing the dough by hand:
500 g soft-wheat flour
a small amount of water
Instead of using 500 g of soft-wheat flour try 250 g of superfine flour and 250 g of durum wheat flour
Instead of 5 eggs: 250ml of water.
PREPARING THE DOUGH BY HAND
1. Create a well with the flour in a bowl; pour the eggs and water into the middle of it
2. Mix the flour, the eggs and the water with a fork and knead the dough
3. Keep kneading the dough by hand until it is smooth and sticks together. If the dough is too dry, add some water, if it is too sticky add some flour
4. Take the dough out of the bowl and place it on lightly floured table. Continue, if necessary, to knead the dough by hand; then, cut it into four pieces.
PREPARING THE SHEET WITH A MARCATO PASTA MACHINE
1. Set the pasta machine thickness-adjustment to 0 and pass one of the four pieces of dough through the smooth rollers. If you are using the Pasta Fresca Dough Mixer, fit the Sfoglia 150 accessory with smooth rollers to the mixer
2. Lightly dust both sides of the sheet of pasta with flour and fold it in half. Feed the sheet of pasta back through the smooth rollers again: repeat these operations several times until the sheet of pasta has a long and regular shape
3. Cut the resulting sheet into two pieces, and sprinkle them lightly with flour on both sides
4. Set the thickness-adjustment to 1 and pass the sheet through just once; then, set the thickness-adjustment to 2 and pass the sheet through once more; then, set the thickness-adjustment to 3, and so forth until you achieve the required thickness
5. Fit to the Atlas pasta machine or to the Mixer, if you are using the 3 Facile mixer, the selected cutting accessory and pass the sheet through the cutting rollers to achieve the required paste shape
(No cutting accessories can be assembled on the Ampia pasta machine)
6. Lastly, cook the pasta that you have made, or store it once you have left it to dry on our Tacapasta accessory for at least one hour.